2018’s Best Water Cooler Dispensers
Water cooler dispensers have become a necessity in every household today. Its ability to provide hot water, cold water and often times room temperature water is valuable, especially for people who are always on the go. Aside from households, water cooler dispensers are also popular in offices.
When you are in the office, have you ever noticed that the same water cooler dispenser has been there since you first started 5 years ago? That is actually a concern you need to raise to your manager. Why? Because it no longer looks as sanitary as it once did. Furthermore, there are more modern looking water cooler dispensers in the market that hide the water jug. Upon reading this guide, not only will you be able to find proof that it is time to replace the office water cooler, you will also find the best water cooler dispenser for your home.
What is it and why do you need it?
Simply put, it is a machine that dispenses water. But why do you need one? It’s so that you can have clean drinking water at the temperature you wish. It provides boiling water for tea, ramen and other soups and cold water if you are thirsty.
Water coolers have two types, the bottom loading water dispenser and the top loading water dispenser.
Bottom Loading – This type of water dispenser is great for office or for home use. The great thing about this water dispenser is that the water jug goes on the bottom(as the name implies), so anyone can put it in. Just roll the water jug into the water dispenser and push it inside, then put the pipes and suction back on top of the water jug and close the door. That’s how easy it is.
Top Loading – This is the traditional looking water dispenser. The downside is, you have to be strong in order to lift and flip the water jug.
Features to Consider
You can’t just buy the first water dispenser that you see. You need to consider factors like the water temperature settings and where the jug is loaded into. The temperature settings of water cooler dispensers used to be just cold water and room temperature, but now, you can have very cold, room temperature and hot water as your options. If you have a child at home, there are water dispensers that have child locks to prevent them from getting boiling water.
So without further ado, here are the top 5 water dispensers of 2018.
Whirlpool Stainless – Best Bottom Load Dispenser
If you are looking for a self cleaning water dispenser, then the Whirlpool Stainless is what you are looking for. There are dishwasher- safe dispensers, but the Whirlpool Stainless does it better because it is self-cleaning. Because of its 6th sense technology, it will use unstable oxygen to kill bacteria and other viruses that will contaminate the water.
This water dispenser is nice and sleek because it is made of stainless steel and it even has a nickel planted front and sides to give it a sophisticated look. Although it looks luxurious, its price is affordable.
- Manufactured by one of the best water dispenser manufacturers today
- Has LED light that will indicate if the self-cleaning mode is running
- LED lights will also inform you when the water is at its coldest or at its hottest
- Lowest temperature it can get is 9° F
- Hot water produced is great for brewing the perfect cup of tea
- Very sturdy
- Very durable because the compressor is not used as often due to its cooling system
- Can use 3 or 5 gallon water jugs
- Only offers are freezing cold or boiling hot water
- Shoe stains and finger prints will stick since it is stainless steel
NewAir WAT40B Pure Spring – Best Water Cooler Dispenser
The NewAir WAT40B is one of the healthiest water dispensers available in the market today. This bottom loading water dispenser conceals the water jug to make it a very aesthetically pleasing appliance. It is Energy Star rated, BPA-free and NSF Certified. It also has indicator lights and has a child-safety lock installed. The black color makes it very sleek and very modern.
- 100% BPA-free
- Cold water temperature can go as low as 39° F
- Hot water temperature can reach up to 185° F
- Uses a powerful and energy efficient compressor
- Has a light indicator that indicates when the water jug needs to be replaced
- Comes with a manual and warranty
- Height of 41 inches which makes it easy for adults and children to use
- Energy Star Qualified
- A bit noisy
Avalon Top Loading – Best Home Water Cooler
The Avalon Top Loading Water Cooler is the perfect water dispenser for your home. I can provide both hot and cold water and has a child-safety lock to keeping your kid safe from burns. It is designed for small spaces because of its size. It is small that it will never get in the way.
- It will blend in with most home kitchens because its color is white
- Easy to use
- Energy Star rated
- Weighs 37 pounds
- 45 inches high which is the ideal height for a water dispenser
- Fits 3 or 5 gallon water jugs
- Cold water temperature gets as low as 47° F
- Hot water temperature gets as high as as 167° F
- Water pressure is always good
- Refillable water bottles
- Someone has to lift the 3 or 5 gallon jug and then flip it over to put it on top
Clover B14A – Best Water Dispenser for Office
Although the Clover B14A looks like your typical office water dispenser, it does have a lot to offer. It uses stainless steel tanks to provide both hot and cold water. Since the water is stored in a stainless steel tank, it will be clean and hygienic. You will also able to adjust the water thermostat of this water dispenser. You can set the cold water between 35-53° F. The only downside is, the hot water is not adjustable. It will stay constant at 185° F. It is Energy Star rated and follows a very strict energy-efficient guidelines set by the EPA. As for maintenance, this water dispenser only needs the drip tray to be cleaned sporadically. The most unique feature of this water dispenser is the on/off switch for hot water, which will allow you to conserve electricity. That will mean that your energy bill won’t be as high.
- Weighs only 32 lbs
- Aesthetically pleasing
- You can control the cold water temperature
- 1-year warranty
- Uses a child safety lock for the hot water tap
- Stainless steel tanks make water more hygienic
- Able to fit in the kitchen at home or in the office
- Has an on/off hot water switch
- Energy Star rated
- Easy to clean and has a drip tray just in case your glass overflows with water
- Someone has to lift the 3 or 5 gallon jug and then flip it over to put it on top
Glacial Maximum Stainless – Best Rated Water Dispenser
If you are looking for an all-around water dispenser, the Glacial Maximum Stainless water dispenser is the answer to your problem. You ask why? Besides providing clean water, it will be able to do self-cleaning by using unstable oxygen to kill bacteria and other viruses that will contaminate your water. This dispenser uses Glacial Chill technology. This technology uses a ring of ice to keep water at a temperature just above the freezing mark. It canproduce 1.6 gallons of icy cold water an hour.
Its luxurious and sleek design makes it perfect for both home and office use. It has a nickel plated front and side to give off that sophisticated and edgy vibe. It is highly considered as the best water dispenser today.
- Daily self-cleaning
- Hides the water jug
- Luxurious looking
- Has a night light
- Water comes out just above freezing temperature
- Hot water provided is great for tea and soups
- Easy to use bottom loader
- Gets most of the water out of the jug
- 1-year warranty
- Uses 3 or 5 gallon jugs
- Uses professional grade compressor technology that consumes 30 times less energy than a commercial grade cooler
- Can produce up to 1.4 gallons of hot water per hour because of its HotBoost technology
- A bit loud
Considerations You Need To Make Before Buying
Before you go buy a water dispenser, here are some considerations you need to make.
Top Loading Water Dispensers
This type generally costs less and are easier to set up. All you need is a 3 or 5 gallon water jug. Place it on top of the unit and then plug it in and it’s ready. The only problem with a top loading water dispenser is that the water jug is always exposed to reveal where the water comes from. You will also need to lift the 5 gallon water jug (which is a bit heavy) and put it in the dispenser.
Bottom Loading Water Dispensers
This type of water dispenser will hide the jug in the bottom behind closed doors. Almost anyone can replace the water jug since all you need to do is slide it in, no carrying involved.
Counter Top Water Dispensers
This type is not as common as the traditional bottom and top load water dispensers, but they are still being used. If you live in a studio apartment or small condo, this is an ideal option. It will only take up a bit of space. All you need to ensure is that there is an outlet available near the water dispenser.
Is your kitchen big enough for an industrial sized water dispenser? Or are you better off using a smaller top load water dispenser? These are questions you need to ask yourself. Basically, before you buy one, you need to think about where you want to put it and measure the space and then check the dimensions of the water dispenser you like.
As always, when shopping for anything, you have to consider the price of what you will be buying. Just like any other product, some water dispensers will cost more than others. So set a budget and go from there. One thing to remember, the more expensive it is does not mean it is always the best water dispenser for you. Always consider the features first before the price. See if these features are what you need. For a water dispenser, the temperature is the most important thing to consider aside from the space it requires.
Cleaning and Maintenance
You will eventually have to clean your water dispenser at some point. Here’s how.
- First, unplug your cooler from the electrical outlet.
- Then check if your water cooler has a water guard. This what your dispenser uses to puncture the water caps in jugs in order to use them. If it has a water guard, then remove it. Hold it on both sides and pull it out of the cooler. Then clean all of the build-ups using a gentle dish soap and warm water. Make sure to rinse it completely after and dry it with a towel.
- Then get your baking soda and pour 2 tablespoons into 1 cup of water. Use this solution to rinse out the reservoir. Once you are done, drain it and rinse it out completely.
- Afterwards, you need to replace the water guard kit.
Sanitizing your water dispenser from time to time is also needed. It is an easy procedure. All you need to do is make a solution with half a teaspoon of bleach and add it to a gallon of water. Then pour that solution into the reservoir. Make sure to not leave it in longer than 5 minutes. Then drain the water completely and rinse it thoroughly. Water dispensers usually have two different taps. Now make sure you drain them both through the cold water tap. You will have to remove the dirt and other grime from the water dispenser periodically too. So make sure to include that in your to-do list.
One thing to note when cleaning the water cooler, you have to make sure you disconnect the power supply cord before cleaning it with a small brush attachment from your vacuum cleaner.
By now, you should have a full idea of what to consider when shopping for a water cooler and how to maintain it. By doing so, it will help preserve the function of your water cooler dispenser and ensure it will last longer. The self-cleaning feature of the water dispenser will not completely get rid of mould from standing water. You will need to wipe it clean yourself.
Among the 5 water dispensers listed above, the Glacial Maximum Stainless Self Cleaning Base Load Water Cooler with Hot and Cold Water Dispense stands above the rest as the best water cooler dispenser of 2018. Its modern look and self-cleaning feature is what provides optimum value to this water dispenser. It will also fit in any modern home kitchen seamlessly. Plus, it looks great in a modern looking office. It simply is the best water dispenser on the market today.